Rob and I are two of the millions of people who jumped on the podcast bandwagon when Serial came out in 2014. Until this past summer, we would listen to a few shows here and there without much consistency. This summer however, when I was flipping my first house, we both needed an escape from the mindless work of painting walls, trim and cabinets. And podcasts were the perfect thing to distract us! Now we are regular podcast listeners, tuning into at least one or two podcasts a week. So if you are looking to start listening to podcasts (they are great for commuting or running on the treadmill!) or if you just need some new shows to add to your list, here are our top five podcasts that we listened to in 2016.
- Radio Lab Presents: More Perfect— each episode focuses on a different, very interesting, Supreme Court case. Listen to this from the beginning.
- Real Time with Bill Maher— the podcast of his TV episodes each week. Start with the most current episode.
- Revisionist History— Malcolm Gladwell takes a deeper look at events from history that we thought happened one way but might have happened another. Start from the beginning and definitely don’t miss the Toyota car episode!
- FiveThiryEight Politics— They discuss politics of the day, with an eye toward understanding polling and polling models. everything currently going on in politics. Pick it up from the current episode!
- Happier with Gretchen Rubin— a quick podcast with tips on simple things to do every day to be happier. Start listening from episode 1.
A runner up for this list is one of Rob’s favorite podcasts, Daring Fireball. It is a long form podcast where the host delves into Apple Inc minutiae. It didn’t make the official list because I tend to find it a bit boring. But if you love all things Apple like Rob, then you should definitely check out Daring Fireball.
What are your favorite podcasts that I should be sure to check out?